Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode and djbdns

Morten Bo Johansen <mojo@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I wondered if anyone on the list is using this combination?

Yes, but my dnscache is complemented by tinydns for providing local
DNS (internal use, for my LAN only).

> Yesterday I set up a local DNS cache with djbdns as per the
> instructions in http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/faq/cache.html and it
> worked fine. However when I contact the leafnode server on the
> localhost (through Mutt) it pauses for about 5-10 seconds as if
> the dnscache program is trying to intercept the operation.

dnscache is not intercepting anything. Check the logs, dnscache has its
own logs -- try this in a separate console/xterm/shell:

tail -f /service/dnscache/log/main/current | tai64nlocal

Check your /etc/syslog.conf to figure where your daemon logs and news
logs go. Mind the time stamps in the log.

Presumably dnscache cannot resolve the name of your client and this
process is slow. Try putting your local clients either into tinydns or,
easier, into /etc/hosts and giving /etc/hosts precedence over
DNS. (/etc/nsswitch.conf: "hosts: files dns")

> Dnscache is using localhost as the nameserver but so does pdnsd
> (another DNS cache) and I did not have any delays with pdnsd.
> Both are running on port 53 if that matters.

You cannot run two dns listeners (pdnsd and dnscache) on the same IP at
the same time. You can however redirect certain domains from dnscache to
a certain different IP. I am redirecting domain.example.net and
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.