Re: [leafnode-list] FQDN advice sought

Jeffrey Goldberg schrieb am Freitag, den 12. Juli 2002:

> This is actually my problem.  The MIDs on my network are all being
> generated by the clients and not by leafnode.  If it were being done by
> leafnode I would simply configure leafnode to use the RHS as
>
>    for-posting.goldmark.org
>
> and all would be fine.  But since the clients are generating MIDs, nothing
> in leafnode's configuration will help.
>
> But I need to configure my system so that all clients pick up something in
>
>   *.goldmark.org
>
> yet the particular hosts that the clients run on are on a private network.
> The hosts on the private network do need to resolve on and only on that
> network.

I see two simple ways out of this dilemma:

#1 NIS. Export your leafnode server's "hosts" via NIS, tell clients to
   use it, and be done with that.

(NIS+ or LDAP are also fine if your clients can use it.)

#2 A DNS-based setup that I have been using with great success since
around a year is djbdns, it involves installing DJB's daemontools and
DJB's djbdns. (URLs below).

If you have ISC Bind, that should also work, but I don't trust bind,
it's got too many dark spots. Not sure about MaraDNS.

The plan is simple:

1. set up an "external" dnscache on 192.168.0.1, and allow it to resolve
   192.168.0.* (external means accessible by other clients in your LAN):

     cd /service/dnscache/root/ip
     touch 127.0.0.1
     ln -f 127.0.0.1 192.168.0
     # now dnscache will work as resolver for 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.*

2. configure all clients' /etc/resolv.conf:

     nameserver 192.168.0.1
     domain goldmark.org

3. install tinydns on the same server that runs dnscache. Stuff all of your
   private network data into tinydns (there are scripts to aid you),
   possibly duplicating the parts of your ISP's DNS that belong to
   goldmark.org. (don't forget: cd /service/tinydns/root ; make )

4. tell dnscache to consult your tinydns for local network:
   cd /service/dnscache/root/servers
   echo '127.0.0.1' >goldmark.org
   ln -f goldmark.org 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa

Not sure, if anything's not working as expected, svc -t
/service/dnscache will restart dnscache.

> > As a note to all those who consider downgrading to 1.9.19: You're not
> > solving any problem, but resurrecting dozens of old problems. If now
> > leafnode 1.9.24 complains about your hostname, your setup is wrong and
> > probably has always been, just nobody has told you, and leafnode is now
> > the first software to tell you. DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
>
> I concur.  MIDs of xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are a bad thing.  I am
> pleased that leafnode developers are working to prevent them.

Thanks for your appreciation.

Links:
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html         (DJBDNS software)
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html    (needed by DJBDNS)