Re: [leafnode-list] Please comment: should PCRE be dropped from leafnode's tarball?

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 10:05:34PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Does your distribution ship with PCRE? (it may be called pcrelib or
> libpcre and it may also be in the developer packages collection for your
> distribution)

I think all current distribution come with pcre now. RedHat,
SuSE, Debian, Mandrake all have pcre packages.

> Actually, calling leafnode "stable" should prevent me from dropping

Right. And that's why I'm against it.

> PCRE, and if I drop it, I shall bump the version to 1.10.0. However,
> cutting the tarball by more than half of its size is tempting.

A 1.10.x series would IMO only be justified if significant
changes to the *leafnode* code resulting in new features are
made. It is my understanding that the 1.9.x series is feature
frozen and everything new should go to 2.x so that one day we'll
have a stable 2.0 [1]. Dropping PCRE is for most users not the
enhancement expected from a new minor number version and will be
very hard to justify without new features. The best solution
would be to get 2.0 ready and out so that we don't have to
discuss anymore what to do with 1.9.x.

I'd also like to remind you that back in 99 there was a 1.10beta
series that included more features than the current 1.9.x. Some
of it went to 2.x. Making a 1.10 release without them might lead
to confusion. But that's only a minor point.

[1] Whenever that may be...

Cheers,
	Jo:rg

--
       ---===  Encrypted mail welcome. Key-ID: 1024D/2B693EBF  ===---
Fortune cookie of the day: