Re: [leafnode-list] Message-ID already in use.

Grahame Cooper <Grahame@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Can you check whether the article is available upstream and if it's
>> yours? I believe what you're seeing is an artifact of the current
>> implementation, to avoid losing articles.
>
> Forgive me, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. I have checked (with
> grep) the leafnode repository a couple of hours after the attempted
> posting and there is definitely no message with that ID in it there.
> (This is after several suns of fetchmail against the upstream server.)
>
> Other than that, I don't how to check the upstream server for a
> particular message ID.

Either connect a newsreader directly to the upstream server, or do:

telnet up.stream.ser.ver 119
head <message-id>
quit

> Ah, I think I understand what you are getting at. I am pretty sure that
> the example I showed in my original email was the first (and only)
> attempt to post the message. I switched off all my news crontabs and
> tried experimenting with manually initiated fetchnews runs. The file is
> being deleted from out.going on the first attempt to post to the
> upstream server.

Strange. Are you sure your leafnode program versions are consistently
1.9.27? No remainders of older versions in a different directory?
(/usr/sbin vs. /usr/local/sbin, for example)

> Is it possible that the failure is really due to a different error, but
> is being reported as Message-ID already in use?

That should not happen, but if it did, you'd find this out with the
debug instructions in README (set debugmode = 2 instead).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs