Re: [leafnode-list] Client: Unable to read configuration file

Matthias Andree schrieb:

> Werner Partner schrieb am Dienstag, den 26. November 2002:
>
> > I update leafnode, I got 1.9.29.
> > rpm -U ...
> >
> > After installation leafnode did not start, - unable to read config file.
> > I saw that config and filters were renamed, I copied them, so leafnode
> > started,
>
> Were they? What version did you have before that?
>
> > fetchnews is working - everything is o.k.
> >
> > But now Client (Windows 98, Netscape) says:
> >
> > Ein Diskussionsfehler (NNTP) liegt vor:
> > Unable to read configuration file, exiting.
>
> "Interesting" translation. Well, nevermind, it quotes the original error
> message.
>
> > What's wrong?
>
> The news log should have more information, check /etc/syslog.conf to
> figure where the news log is written to.
>
> If you don't have any news log, see the bottom of README, starting at
> "DEBUGGING", modify the configuration accordingly and restart the client
> to reproduce the error, and look into the news log again.
>
> Another problem might be if your rpm installed the leafnode executable
> to a different place, but your [x]inetd.conf still points to the old
> executable. "rpm -ql leafnode | grep leafnode" shows where the leafnode
> NNTP server part, "leafnode", is installed. Make sure your xinetd.conf
> or inetd.conf file matches the new location.

I think, it was a problem of the rights.
Leafnode is runnung as "news", and the owner of the files in
/etc/leafnode was "root", because i installed under root. I changed
owner and group in /etc/leafnode to "news", and now world is o.k. again.

Question, which user must have /etc/leafnode/. - "news" or "root"?

Werner