[leafnode-list] leafnode et. al. - security

I'm about buildung a familiy server with nntp, smtp, pop3. Something
else will be added.
I was warnend about "holes" to internet and it was said that I must care
about security.

Now I ask - querying your usual experience:
What is the easiest amd most practical way to protect such a small
server about offences out of the air:

I thought about hosts.deny, e.g. all : all except local

Or are there better ways

Werner