Re: [leafnode-list] Newbie questions - 1

-------------------
On Tuesday 26 August 2003 18:24, you wrote:
| Steve Mansfield <syntax@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
| > -------------------
| >
| > On Tuesday 26 August 2003 15:10, you wrote:
| > | I'm not familiar with Wanadoo, but check the greeting line their server
| > | gives you. 200 means you can post, 201 means you cannot.
| >
| > How would I see this? Is it logged somewhere?
|
| You can set debugmode=1 and then look into your news log (refer to
| TROUBLESHOOTING in README to find out how your /etc/syslog.conf needs to
| be set up).

Well, the good news is, I seem to have got it working! The bad news is, I'm
not sure which of the many changes I made actually achieved the result, but
I'm back to a fairly simple configuration in the CONFIG file, so maybe I'd
done something stupid earlier. Anyway, thanks for the help.

And while I'm here, I don't know if you're interested in *why* people use your
software, but here's my story (as briefly as possible). I have a small
network (5 machines) sharing an ISDN router. This is convenient but
expensive. I used 40tude Dialog on WinXP (and my wife still does) which is
excellent at handling messages offline. Now I've switched to Linux, I tried a
number of news clients and was happily using Pan until I upgraded and it
started acting weird (its new scoring system seems a tad unreliable). I tried
Mozilla Thunderbird and like it enormously - but, even though I tell it to
download messages for offline reading, every time I selected a newsgroup it
would cause the router to dial-up. Very irritating. With Leafnode, I
eliminate this problem - so your software is going to save me money. Thanks.