Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode hanging

Brian D schrieb am 2004-02-19:

> I installed Leafnode 1.9.50 today, and so far it has hung twice when reading
> from a dodgy server (text.news.ntlworld.com) which I only use for a few
> newsgroups. This prevents it from reading from the other servers at the
> scheduled next run (10 minutes). It has happenned on earlier versions, so it
> may be coincidence. Logging was set to 0 so not much to show there.
>
> Is there a timeout to set to abort an inactive fetch? or should I automate my
> script to kill the process before calling fetchnews. Any suggestions?

Does it hang with 100% CPU or with 0% CPU?

I'd like to analyze this first, if that's ok with you:

If you've installed with "make install-strip", please reinstall with
"make install". If you've installed from RPM, skip the backtrace steps
for now, they won't produce any useful information.

If you have used "make install" to install, please

1. debugmode=3 in /etc/leafnode/config and modify your /etc/syslog.conf
   and restart syslogd according to instructions in the README file so
   we have more logging.  If it then hangs, please obtain a stack
   backtrace (see the FAQ for instructions).

2. use your shell's command to increase the core file size limit,
   bash uses for instance "ulimit -Sc unlimited"

3. run fetchnews -vvv and wait until it hangs

4. press Ctrl-\   - this should print "Quit (core dumped)"

5. now obtain the core file as described in the FAQ.

If the backtrace looks "all numbers" and GDB complains "no symbols
found" (which is the case after make install-strip, with "-s" in LDFLAGS
or CFLAGS and for RPM installs), the backtrace is worthless
unfortunately.

Anyways, please bzip2 or gzip the syslog output and send it to my
private mail address (not to the list) or stuff them on your FTP server
and tell me the URL. If the backtrace has symbolic names, paste it into
the mail or attach it uncompressed (plain text).

If you don't have a backtrace, try running fetchnews under supervision
of a syscall tracer, such as strace, truss, trace, ktrace, ltrace -S
and gzip the output and make it available to me or attach it to a mail
you send to my private email address.

Thanks in advance,