[leafnode-list] leafnode configured for 2 servers and active file

I have the leafnode debian package 1.10.1.rc1-1
installed.
I have leafnode configured for two upstream news-servers.  This is a laptop
that usually has access to only one of them.
For the last week, it's only had access to the first server.
Each time I run it, everything runs fine on the first server and everything
fails on the second server.  It then decides that next time, it needs to fetch
the active file from _both_ servers, apparently since fetching it failed on
the second one.

Is this a known problem?  Should I start gathering more information?