[leafnode-list] Re: possible bug in leafnode-2.0.0.alpha?

Theodore Heise <theo@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20050810a in Slackware 9.1 installed
> on a Pentium III box with 1 GB of RAM.  I have the news spool on
> this box (linus.heise.nu) and read using slrn on the same computer.
>
> Yesterday, I read a post in alt.cellular.verizon that had added a
> crossposting to comp.dcom.xdls with follow-up set to the latter
> group:
>
>   1)	Message-ID: <dh7s7k$beq$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I wrote a follow-up to that post, allowing slrn to honor the
> follow-up setting and post only to comp.dcom.xdsl:
>
>   2)	Message-ID: <slrndjmnkh.1eq.theo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> A few minutes later I realized that comp.dcom.xdsl was neither among
> my interesting groups nor my subscribed groups.  So I then added it
> to my slrn groups, and opened the leafnode placeholder.
>
> My follow-up has now appeared on other servers, and I have posted a
> follow-up to it from a different account:
>
>   3)	Message-ID: <slrndjo94c.eon.theise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> However, my first post (2) does not appear on my own news spool.
>
> As I think about this, it seems more like broken user behavior than
> like a broken application, but I wanted to share it with the list
> anyway.

Sorry I couldn't get to this earlier. If your expiry time is lower than
30 days, just forget the whole story because we cannot debug any
more. (Even if it's shorter we may be unable to debug).

Well, it's certainly Not Nice[tm] of leafnode to show this behavior.

Can you find the message.id/???/* file with the Message-ID and show me
what "ls -l" gives you for that file?

Can you grep your logs for the Message-ID of (2)?

Perhaps this works too:

find /var/spool/news -name '*slrndjmnkh.1eq.theo*' -ls

If it shows some output, I'd like to know which. If it doesn't show
output, I'm at a loss for now and I'll have to reproduce this.

My current suspicion is that the message-ID file from the post is still
there, but the article isn't copied into the group directory as the
group isn't subscribed or existent. The Message-ID file however blocks
the download.

Suggestions you can try in random order, let me know which work and
which don't:

1. run "fetchnews -x 100" to try to fetch the previous 100 articles too.

2. run "texpire after the post" and subscribe to the group *before*
   running fetchnews for the next time

I wonder if a locally originated post should automatically (1) create or
(2) create and subscribe to   an unsubscribed remote group. Suggestions,
with rationale?