[leafnode-list] Re: Cannot update timestamp on /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/...: Operation not permitted

On Friday 18 Nov 2005 02:27, Matthias Andree wrote:
> David Aldred <nr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Just noticed this message repeatedly being thrown up by Leafnode:
> >
> > Nov 17 23:22:41 main leafnode[25280]: Cannot update timestamp
> > on /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/alt.os.linux.mandrake: Operation
> > not permitted
> >
> > (various groups are affected)
> >
> > Looks like a permisions problem - but all files
> > under /var/spool/news/interesting.groups (and the directory itself) have
> > owner 'root', group 'news', and permissions 775.
> >
> > The user news is a member of group news, so I thought it could access
> > those directories and files.
> >
> > What have I got wrong?
>
> What operating system and version are you using?

Mandriva Linux - 2006.

> What type of file system is used for the /var partition?  The /etc/fstab
> or /etc/vfstab file may tell.  If /var is not on a separate partition,
> check your root partition.
from /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1

(var is on the root partition)

> Has someone or something accidentally set "immutable" flags on the file
> (chattr on Linux, chflags on BSD) or tampered with ACLs (access control
> lists)?

There's nothing shown on an lsattr; where would I look for any ACL?

> Ultimately, is your file system corrupt? Use fsck to check.  (you may
> shut your system down to single-user mode and unmount /var or downgrade
> it to read-only mode to be able to check it).

Just tried an fsck from single-user mode, and it reported all was clean.

The error is being reported when I move from one newsgroup to another in KNode
- does the KNode user (ie me!) have to have write access to the spool?  It
would seem somehow a bit strange....

--
David Aldred

--