[leafnode-list] Re: Correct way to copy the news spool and leafnode configuration to another computer?

Adam Funk <a24061@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Sometime soon I need to move leafnode from one computer (Debian) to
> another (Ubuntu).  I think the configuration can be copied by simply
> copying /etc/news/leafnode/ into place on the second machine,

Yes - but be sure to not accidentally leave a config file with passwords
publicly readable. Use of proper options to maintain permissions and
ownership advised. cp -p, scp -p or similar.

> but what do I need to do to copy /var/spool/news/ (which I understand
> contains a lot of files with multiple hard links)?  Can tar handle the
> hard links correctly, or do I need to used cpio?

Recent versions of pax, tar and cpio should be fine.
For tar, remember to use the "-p" option on the destination side.
When using rsync, be sure to use the -H and -a options.

When you encounter strange behavior after the copy, run "texpire -r",
which is supposed to sort things out.

> Also, I can't post to this list through
> gmane.org's newsgroup interface.  Every time I try, I get a message
> from the Gmane Autoauthorizer telling me
>
>   You have sent a message to be posted on the gmane.network.leafnode
>   newsgroup.
>
>   This is a non-public mailing list, which means that you have to
>   subscribe to the list to post to it.  If you're already subscribed
>   to the list, Gmane can forward this message to the list if you
>   respond to this message.  If not, you should sign up to the mailing
>   list first, and then respond to this message, or just forget about
> me I'm already subscribed.  Anyone know what's wrong?

Have you already responded to the Autoauthorizer,
as it prompts you to in the last sentence you quoted?