[leafnode-list] Re: bus error in leafnode on NetBSD-sparc64

Charles Shannon Hendrix schrieb am 2007-01-02:

> The programs all run fine fetching news, expiring, etc, but no clients
> can connect to the leafnode server.
>
> If I run leafnode on the command line, I can query groups and article
> lists and everything works, but when a remote client tries to contact
> leafnode, the process dies with no errors in the logs.
>
> I ran the leafnode process under ktrace in inetd.conf to get a look
> inside, from the trace it appears to have died in main.c or close to
> that with a bus error.
>
> I've tried running it in the debugger from inside inetd but can't seem
> to make that work right. It only fails when running from inetd, so I was
> trying to find some way of debugging it from there.

If it dies early, it's a tough call, the best bet probably to insert a
sleep(15); early in main.c so you can look up the PID and attach gdb and
try to capture a backtrace.Other options might be looking if it leaves a
core behind (ISTR that you need debugmode to allow core files to be
generated, and they might be anywhere in your news spool directory
hierarchy) and try a backtrace from the core.  Sorry not to be of
greater assistance right now, but I'mbehind a GSM-based 9k6 internet
connection that's not overly stable and certainly unsuitable to clone
the CVS tree to look into the source, or download the tarball. Sorry for
the typos, I'll likely have faster connectivity tomorrow and might send
more details unless you're faster than me WRT debugging.

It's not a known bug per se, but looks like some unaligned access -
SIGBUS is quie typical of such situations on SPARC machines (32 as well
as 64 bits).

HTH for the nonce,
Matthias