[leafnode-list] Re: Backup copy of the spool

[Enrico, this is resent with a proper sender address that the list accepts
- you know it already.]

Am 09.05.2009, 20:08 Uhr, schrieb Enrico C
<use_replyto_address@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi all,
> I am using leafonode 1.11.7-rc1 (the version on Ubuntu repositories) on
> Ubuntu 9.04.
> I would like to backup my news spool on a different directory or hard
> disc,
> but I read in an old FAQ that
>
> "2.11 How do I move the spool to another hard disk?
>
> This operation is only supported with leafnode-2.
>
> It is important that the hard links remain intact.
>
> [...]"
>
> http://www.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/leafnode/beta/FAQ.html#x1-140002.11
>

> So, can I copy the spool to another hd with leafonode 1?

The key is if leafnode will still find the articles during access. For
backup purposes, if your plan is to restore into the original location,
it's fine if hard links are recreated as hard links (that often takes
extra options during backup, and perhaps during restore) AND in the
original location.

You cannot recompile leafnode to point it to a different path - that would
break the spool.

THe underlying problem is that leafnode hashes the Message-IDs, and
unfortunately, the whole path becomes part of that, but I cannot fix that
in leafnode-1 for compatibility reasons. :-/