[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode - what purpose can it serve? single / multi user ?

Am 02.01.2018 um 23:34 schrieb si:
> I got leafnode to run basically. But I use it on a single user laptop compy, so it does really not offer many advantages.
>
> If I simply use the newsreader (thunderbird, pan, etc.) and connect to an upstream nntp-server like "news.atman.pl"
>
> things are much simpler.
>

> leafnode only starts to make sense if you want others to read what you locally publish, say in a binary newsgroup.
>

> in conclusion: using leafnode as a cacheing proxy in a single-user role is just makeing everything more complicated than it needs to be.
>
> unless you want to use special features, leafnode is of next to no utility in a single user environment, but a major headache to get running at all.

I don't think setting up leafnode requires unduly efforts, and if you
pull news from multiple servers, that's where you bundle your
configuration effort (in leafnode) and can switch your news reader at will.

Binary newsgroups, however, are a thing that I have never supported.
NNTP and Usenet news message format were not meant for these purposes.
We have better ways for distribution of bulk loads.

> but you can legitimally claim to actually run a usenet news server, wow.

Nah, real Usenet news servers have peering agreements and are fed by
others, and do not pretend to be newsreaders. ;-)