Re: [leafnode-list] Feature request: flushing buffers to the log file

Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> There's a minor but very helpful feature that I'd like to request
> for leafnode:
>
> Could all the writes to the log file be followed by a flush?  Right
> now, this information is buffered.  If the flush were done, then a
> "tail -f" on the log file would yield meaningful results when
> fetchnews and other leafnode code is running.

Since the writing to the logfiles is not done by the leafnode suite
itself but by the syslog daemon, this will depend on the configuration
options that you have for the syslog daemon on your system. For
example, from my syslog.conf(5) manpage:

   Regular File
       Typically messages are logged to real files.  The file has
       to be specified with full pathname, beginning with a slash
       ``/''.

       You  may  prefix  each  entry with the minus ``-'' sign to
       omit syncing the file after every logging.  Note that  you
       might  lose information if the system crashes right behind
       a write attempt.  Nevertheless this might  give  you  back
       some  performance, especially if you run programs that use
       logging in a very verbose manner.

--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */