Re: [leafnode-list] [ANNOUNCE] leafnode-1.9.17 released

krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:

> I have just released leafnode-1.9.17. It contains some cosmetic
> adjustments as well as a few "real" bugfixes.

I have just released leafnode-1.9.17ma1 (beta). In contrast to my
16maX-Series, it comes with PCRE v3.4 included (regretfully, PCRE does
not support building outside the source directory currently). PCRE v3.4
can be built as a shared library, so if you consider trying 1.9.17ma1,
better go to the pcre directory, do ./configure && make && make install
before your build leafnode, you'll get libpcre linked dynamically (saves
memory).

Major changes versus leafnode 1.9.17:
- fetchnews knows the XOVER command which is a lot faster than XHDR, at
  least on INN servers
- if a GNU-libc-compatible getline function is present, getaline is
  replaced with a much simpler getline function
- if a GNU-libc-compatible getline function is NOT present, getaline
  uses a slow, fgetc()-based getline() replacement
- uses automake which gives a more consistent look and feel with other
  software. It allows for SIMPLE BuildRoot installation with DESTDIR=
- no longer converts NULs to spaces. It reads the entire line, then
  silently truncates. Note news articles that have NULs in them are
  broken.
- some bugfixes that did not go into leafnode 1.9.17:
  . fix wrong memset length in fetchnews.c:getgroup
  . fix bad login in finding wildcard characters in miscutil.c:ngmatch
  . fix bad data type in miscutil.c:snprintf from int to size_t
- has an installation helper tool that generates the message.id tree QUICK

Note you simply cannot fix fgets for its return type. It ought to return
the number of bytes written, but instead it just returns garbage. You
cannot use fread since that blocks if reading from network.

I am considering using Dan J. Bernstein's buffer library in -ma2 to get
rid of the libc dependency and of the fgets difficulties.

Cornelius, may I ask you to rename CHANGES to ChangeLog in 1.9.18?

                Where do you think you're going today?