[leafnode-list] Various Problems with 1.9.17

I realise this is not the latest version, but the problems I am having do
not seem to be covered by changes listed in 1.9.18.  I am intending to wait
for 2.0, since generally the version I have works (or worked) fine.

The first problem I have noticed is due to our network.  It is a LAN, routed
over IDSN.  The routing server drops the line after about 10 seconds of
inactivity, and I can't change that.  I agree that our LAN is flawed ...
however, if the route drops while fetchnews is retrieving, then fetchnews
never times out.  This means all subsequent fetches caused by cron fail, and
news stops coming, so I have to check this periodically.  It seems to happen
normally when someone subscribes to a busy new group.  Therefore I would
request that in 2.0, can you make fetchnews time out here?

Second problem is more strange.  Recently, fetchnews started failing on my
primary server.  It would check one group, then drop out without removing
the lockfile, but with no error or segfault (even when running -vvv).  I
tried running -f, but no change.  I think I have two groups corrupted
somehow.  I tried deleting them from interesing.groups, but no joy.  They
disappeared from the group list on leafnode.  I removed my primary server
and fetchnews started getting news OK.  The two groups have appeared in the
grouplist again, but there is no news in them, only the placeholder.

Now fetchnews has started failing on the secondary server:

[root@pc69 Install]# /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvvv
1.9.17: verbosity level is 4
Trying to connect to msnews.microsoft.com ... connected.
Getting all newsgroups from msnews.microsoft.com
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/msnews.microsoft.com
[root@pc69 Install]# /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvvv
Removing stale lockfile.
1.9.17: verbosity level is 4
Trying to connect to msnews.microsoft.com ... connected.
Getting all newsgroups from msnews.microsoft.com
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/msnews.microsoft.com
[root@pc69 Install]#

My question is how can I reset the server - remove all stored groups,
messages, group lists, etc.  Hopefully that will cure it.

Despite this, I still think leafnode is a fantastic piece of software, and I
can't wait for v2.

Thanks is advance...sorry for long post.