Re: [leafnode-list] newsfetch and texpire problems

Chloe Lewis wrote:
> i ve newly installed leafnode-1.9.18 and met some configuration
> problems. when i excute fetchnews for the first time, it gets more than
> the quantity of news spool storage which is about 1G,

This obviously depends on the amount of groups you chose to read. Check
/var/spool/news/interesting.groups/ and remove the ones which you don't
want to read.

> (it retrieves *too old* articles from the news feeding server.)

Set "maxage" in the config file to a suitable number (default is 10
days). You also might want to play with the "initialfetch" parameter
which determines the number of postings that is being retrieved from
the upstream server when a group is read for the first time.

> are the articles older than the expiration time eliminated from the day
> they are stored in spool directory ?

Yes.

> i want to keep the last-3-days articles. any single clue to solve the
> problems will be greatly appreciated.

expire = 3

If you don't care for threading, run "texpire -f" from your cronjob
instead of "texpire". This will delete a lot of additional articles.

HTH,
--Cornelius.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */