Re: [leafnode-list] 2.0b8_ma8rc8 - fetchnews blues

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Ben Holness wrote:

> nntp	119/tcp

Leave that in place. Always.

> nntp2 12546/tcp
> nntp3 12567/tcp

And hope these won't clash in the future :-)

> This may be a little hard to understand, but here is why:
>
> I download news from two servers: One public server (news.zen.co.uk, port
> 119) and one work based server (port 12546)

No need, fetchnews has a port = 12546 argument, as shown.

> # Public news groups for all to access
> service nntp2
>                 {
>                         disable 	= no
>                         flags           = REUSE
>                         socket_type     = stream
>                         wait            = no
>                         user            = news
>                         server          = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
>                         log_on_failure  += USERID
>                 }
>
> # Private work based news groups
> service nntp2
>                 {
>                         disable 	= no
>                         flags           = REUSE
>                         socket_type     = stream
>                         wait            = no
>                         user            = news
>                         server          = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode2/leafnode
>                         log_on_failure  += USERID
>                 }

Won't work, both are nntp2. Either should be nntp3.

> > Looks like your libc is hosed. Which operating system and version does
> > this happen on?
>
> Mandrake 8.1, glibc 2.2.4-6mdk

Waugh. Makes me barf. I'll check if SuSE's glibc 2.2.4 also misbehaves
like Mandrake's.

> I do configure, make and make install for the public news server
> I then make clean, and modify the make file as follows:
>
> # LOCKFILE is the lockfile generated by the leafnode programs
> PREFIX_USR = /usr/local
> PREFIX_VAR = /var
> USRDIR = $(PREFIX_USR)/bin/leafnode2
> BINDIR = $(PREFIX_USR)/sbin/leafnode2
> MANDIR = $(PREFIX_USR)/man
> SPOOLDIR = /var/spool/news2
> LIBDIR   = /etc/leafnode2
> LOCKFILE = /var/lock/news/fetchnews2.lck
> RPMSRC   = none
>
> I then make and make install again.
>
> I think that's everything :)

Hum, make clean should be fine, but to be sure, remove config.c and
re-run make and reinstall. Maybe config.c managed to escape the
"make clean" somehow. I'll have a look (but I don't consider that a
show-stopper).