Re: [leafnode-list] Hangs/Error during fetchnews retrieval

"John Carlyle-Clarke" <john.cc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The other problem I have with 1.9.19 (and had with 1.9.18) is that fetchnews
> often appears to hang during fetches.  Usually, this is recoverable by
> sending a SIGINT and then re-running it, but this does meant that it
> requires baby-sitting/manual intervention.  I used to think that this was
> because our LAN internet connection is via a routed ISDN dialup with an
> inactivity timeout on the PPP, but I now discover that this timeout is set
> to 5 minutes, so I doubt this is the problem.

leafnode (fetchnews) uses stdio I/O which I believe encourages these
hangs, but I haven't yet been able to figure when these happen.

> Despite the problems I have had, I think leafnode is great, and would like
> to keep running it, so any suggestions of how to fix the "Broken Pipe"
> error, and how to get around the hang-ups, would be very welcome.

Can you run strace or truss against fetchnews, save its output to the
file and provide approx. 20 lines of context around the EPIPE which
should be in that strace/truss log?

If it's simple, I may fix it, but my focus is on 2.0b8_ma* currently.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin