Re: [leafnode-list] Posting Problem

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 02:40:38PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
[dopost() control flow snipped]
> > The problem seems to be at (*) (at a quick look), it should also
> > unlink the article in out.going, if present.
>
> I think the problem I am trying to see is somewhere else.  At least in
> the scenario I sketched: The slave leafnode does not have the
> moderator's address, thus stores the article in out.going (marked (**)).
> The upstream mails it to the moderator.  Next time the slave runs
> fetchnews, the upstream still does not report the article as "already
> seen", so the slave posts it again.  The upstream mails it again.  Bad.

(*) marks a problem in dopost(), (**) is a problem with posting
to upstream servers. Once *one* upstream server has accepted a
posting to a moderated group, it has to deleted immediately from
the out.going queue. That this does not happen is one of the most
longstanding and severe bugs in leafnode. The new queueing
behavior of leafnode makes this worse.

> Now what I'm not sure of: if you post to moderated groups on a "real
> world" news server, will they detect your duplicate or just happily mail
> away again (given the fact that the article hasn't been approved)?

I just had a very quick look at the INN source. It doesn't seem
to me that INN adds these articles to the history.

> I'm not sure if there is another similar problem at (*) in the case of
> leafnode being the upstream.

It's a problem when we have moderator addresses for non-local
groups.

Cheers,
	Jo:rg

P.S. no cc's please, I read the list

--
       ---===  Encrypted mail welcome. Key-ID: 1024D/2B693EBF  ===---
Fortune cookie of the day: