Re: [leafnode-list] can not access leafnode from another system

"Johnny Rollerfeet" <jaireaux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > I can access leafnode locally, but when I try to access it from a
> windows
>> > machine on the same network, I get no response.  I can telnet into the
>> server
>> > just fine, but when I try to telnet into port 119, I get this:
>> >
>> >   C:\>telnet 192.168.1.102 119
>> >   Connecting To 192.168.1.102...Could not open a connection to host on
>> port 119

Unless Winsock is even more hosed than I can imagine, it's not a
hosts.allow/hosts.deny issue. If these files prevent access, you will
see "connection reset by peer" after some seconds delay (deliberate
delay, BTW) when using tcpd or immediately when using xinetd's libwrap
feature.

>> >   #
>> >   # hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
>> >   #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
>> >   #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
>> >   #
>> >   nntp: ALL
>>     ^^^^
>> That should be leafnode, not nntp, as mentionend in the INSTALL file.
>
> Well, the problem then would seem to be that there is not a "leafnode" in
> the /etc/services file.  Is it as simple as adding that?

Nope, hosts.allow does not use /etc/services. Do not modify
/etc/services, the default that ships with your system should be fine.

> Again, locally this is what happens:
>   [root]# telnet 192.168.1.102 leafnode
>   telnet: leafnode: bad port

correct

>   [root]# telnet 192.168.1.102 nntp
>   Trying 192.168.1.102...
>   Connected to 192.168.1.102.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.9.22.rel running at
> rollerfeet.no-ip.com
>   quit
>   205 Always happy to serve!
>   Connection closed by foreign host.

correct

>   [root]#
> but, from my windows machine on the same network
>   C:\>telnet 192.168.1.102 119
>   Connecting To 192.168.1.102...Could not open a connection to host on port
> 119 :
>   Connect failed

Look into your system logs.

Check for "bind" and "only_from" statements in your xinetd configuration.

Might be packet filtering in place. Check your "firewall" settings.

The following stuff is not directed towards you, but more general.

Not having Red Hat at hand to try this on: still here is a config
snippet for xinetd which should be safe on any system. If you don't have
tcpd, it will most probably be found in a package named tcp_wrappers or
tcpd.

# this can be tuned for efficiency, but as I am unaware whether ALL
# deployed xinetd are compiled against libwrap, this should be a safe bet:
service nntp
{
        flags           = NAMEINARGS NOLIBWRAP
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        server          = /usr/sbin/tcpd
        server_args     = /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
}