Re: [leafnode-list] fetchnews in parallel?

So here I am replying to my own reply.

It's late, and I should have read things more closely before sending it
off...

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Michael O'Quinn wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > Michael O'Quinn schrieb am Mittwoch, den 10. Juli 2002:
> >
> > > Now when I am retrieving this cached news across my internal 10 Base TX
> > > network, server limitations do become an issue.  But surprisingly, it's
> > > still not disk bandwidth, but CPU on the server.
> >
> > Leafnode or NewsPlex? If it's leafnode, I might want to peek at a
>
> Nah, it's NewsPlex.
>
> Leafnode has never loaded the system,

O.K., this is where I screwed up.  Leafnode DOES sometimes get bogged down
when articles are being fetched from it.  I had it fixed firmly in my mind
that we were talking about fetchnews fetching across the Internet, but
after actually READING (Duh!) what you snipped, it becomes fairly obvious
that we are talking about fetching news FROM the leafnode server.  And
it's actually a 100 Base TX, not 10 Base TX, so server limitations tend to
stand out more.

I can't guarantee that this will be any more coherent -- it's still late
and I still need sleep.

I'll watch the CPU usage on the leafnode box next time I am peeling news
of of it, and let you know.

One area that DOES cause a real performance hit is that each time an
instance of leafnode starts it reads (and processes?) the entire groupinfo
file.  If I use a newsreader that fetches in parallel, this can take a
minute or two before news starts flowing.

I can help with some profiling if you want and if you think it whould
help.  I've kind of gotten used to the startup hit, so it's not really
earth shattering if it never gets fixed.

Sheepishly,
Michael