Re: [leafnode-list] chgrp problems under Red Hat 7.2

* Kenneth Porter wrote on Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:31:32AM CEST:
> Running leafnode-2.0-20020715a. (I had to tweak the spec file a bit to
> get it to build.) I've got everything running ok now, I think.

Fine.  Note there are a few known quirks in that snapshot, namely some
clients won't see a pseudo article in new groups, a couple of race
conditions have been identified.  As Matthias is not around at the
moment, I could release a new version, but would do so only if serious
problems showed up.

> I've added fetchnews and texpire to my root crontab, but I have to
> invoke them like this:
>
> su news -c /usr/sbin/fetchnews
>
> If I just run fetchnews as root, I get this:
>
> cannot ensure gid 13: Operation not permitted

Weird, cannot reproduce.  I'd have to look into this.  Any nonstandard
kernel stuff (SEL e.g.) you have installed?  Did you use
--with-runas-user?  gid 13 is news is primary group of user news, right?
The --with-runas-group is bogus and broken, configure just picks the
primary group of RUNAS_USER.  This needs to be ripped out of the spec
file, I guess.

> Meanwhile, I'll try to pull together a diff of the spec needed for the
> RPM.

Cool, thanks.

> Also, I had to change my lock directory to add the sticky bit so
> fetchnews could create its lock file without being root. I'll probably
> tweak the spec file to put the lock in the spool directory so fetchnews
> can write it without changing the permissions on a system directory.

You could do that; just remember to put a dot into the path component
after $SPOOLDIR.  Or create /var/lock/news belonging to news.news,
that's the default.

Regards,
Ralf