Re: [leafnode-list] 'Hooking' in to do serious scoring on downloads

* Mike Graham wrote on Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 01:37:06PM CEST:
> On Thursday 01 August 2002 04:59 am, you wrote:
>
> > Does the filterfile help you?
>
>   It might... I'm not familiar with Perl, but if there was an example
> filterfile somewhere, I'd give it a whirl.

The README has examples, pcre(7) has the definition, google will turn up
some.

>   I was thinking of something along the line of it downloading messages
> to in.coming, then giving you an opportunity to run something, then
> moving them to where they need to be.  That way the onus is on the user
> to do something intelligent with them, and there's no compatability
> issue.  The messages are just sitting there in the native format.  So
> if I wanted to put certain messages in 'deep storage' then I could copy
> them somewhere automatically, I could have interactive filtering if I
> wanted, or filtering based on searching the *body* of the message, not
> just the header.  That would be sweet.

With leafnode-2.beta, downloading is streamed.  The decision of where
the article will end up, generation of the Xref header and linking into
the newsgroups are done *before* the body is even read.  Makes for
speed, because this way the article file does not have to be read again.
Now there is no way this will be changed for filtering purposes, sorry.

The only way would maybe be hooking into applyfilter, and I'm even very
reluctant about that.

>                                         AOL screws up my scoring
> because of their miserable piss-rotten reference trimming, so any time
> an AOLer sticks their nose into a thread I'm watching or killing, I'm
> screwed.

Sorry to sound harsh, but please bother AOL about that.

Regards,
Ralf