Re: [leafnode-list] "cannot obtain group list" error running

William Grinolds schrieb am Dienstag, den 10. September 2002:

> >Then read /tmp/texpire.trace and look for chdir("/var/spool/news") and
> >failures in the following lines and report back.
>
> chdir("lost+found")                     = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>
> Why does "texpire" need access to "lost+found"?

It does not need to, it just scans the whole /var/spool/news tree, and
you now made it an own file system -- which should be fine, but I never
actually tested this, so I never got the idea that texpire would
consider lost+found to be a newsgroup name component. This problem will
then occur ever since we expire groups that are not in groupinfo (which
we must, otherwise, freshly-deleted groups will no longer be expired).

I shall have texpire skip over lost+found or directories it must not
access.

> At any rate, I set news as the user and group owner of "lost+found", set
> permissions to drwxrwx---, and away it went.  Works fine now.  Curious,
> though - it removed the "lost+found" folder - would that cause a problem
> in the future?

That depends. If you lose files through file system corruption, it
depends on how smart your fsck program is. With modern Linux file
systems (ext3fs, patched reiserfs) with data=ordered or data=journal, or
with BSD softupdates or non-async ffs, such things should never happen
except for power failures that happen while the hard disk has its write
cache switched on -- most ship this way though :-(

> Thanks for the info.  I've never used strace before; now I know how to
> use it.  :-)

No problem.