Re: [leafnode-list] Using FQDN

On 21/10/2002 22:57:59 David Houlden wrote:

>> some Windows software; it's NTL (UK) so does anyone know?
>>

>That's your answer. I've seen exactly the same leafnode behaviour with
NT=
>L's=20
>new news software. I reported it to them a few weeks ago but haven't had
=
>a=20
>reply.=20
>
>The problem seems to be that leafnode sends an nntp stat command to see
i=
>f the=20
>article id already exists. The new software is sending a 223 response to
=
>this=20
>instead of a 430. If you telnet to the server and it identifies itself
as=
>=20
>Typhoon v2.0.0 the stat command works and will return a 430 if the
articl=
>e=20
>does not exist. If isn't the Typhoon software you get a 223. It's only
th=
>e=20
>stat command that is wrong. Head and body commands for an unknown
article=
>=20
>return 430.
>
>Last time I checked news.ntlworld.com and news.cable.ntlworld.com were
ru=
>nning=20
>Typhoon and newscache.cable.ntlworld.com was running the new software.
>
>Perhaps you could try reporting this to NTL as well and see if we can
get=
> them=20
>to fix it.

LOL Get NTL to repair something?  You do stand-up don't you?

Okay.  So do you have any idea what mechanism might be involved in my
connection intermittantly going to newscache.cable.ntlworld.com instead of
news.cable.ntlworld where it's supposed to be pointing?  I'd assume
something on NTL's side.

Thanks.

Matthew