Re: [leafnode-list] [leafnode-2.0.0.alpha] `fetchnews -P' leaves

* Andy Piper wrote on Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 07:05:56PM CET:
> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 14:37, Joerg Dietrich wrote:
> > It's a new feature. Postings are deleted from out.going either
> > when the message.id is already present on the upstream server, or
> > after the first succesful post if at least on group in the
> > Newsgroups: header is moderated. There is no option to change
> > this behavior.
>
> Hmm. This is going to cause some fun for Leafwa then. It allows a user
> (or more precisely, an administrator) to view and edit messages in the
> out.going spool. As far as I read this, there's no chance of assuming
> that any changes will make it upstream, as a message may remain in
> out.going even after it has been transmitted.

Does not sound like a very good idea to change articles there,
because it causes locking problems.  For current leafnode-2, only
whole articles ready for sending should reside in out.going (use
temp.files as intermediate).  Leafnode-1.9 chmod-style "locking"
would be broken by this as well.

Interested question:  why do you want to change articles there?
Why not use supersedes?  AFAICS they work just fine with leafnode-2,
when the article to be superseded sits in out.going.

Regards,
Ralf