Re: [leafnode-list] Message-ID already in use.

"Jeff Grossman" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> 1.  I run fetchnews.  I have 4 servers which I connect to.
> 2.  Server number 1 posts the article.
> 3.  Server number 2 does not carry the newsgroup, so nothing happens.
> 4.  Server number 3 tries to post the article, but the article is
> already available upstream, so it discards it.
> 5.  Server number 4 never tries to post the article because it is
> already deleted.
>
> If you made sure that the post was at least tried at each server at
> least once, I would not mind.  But, right now, server number 4 will only
> be able to get the post if it receives it from another server.  I say
> keep the article in the out.going queue for at least a complete
> fetchnews run.

keeping articles for a complete run, until STAT or HEADERS verify it
upstream is the current behaviour in leafnode+.  while feeding
articles to numerous sites may increase reliability, it also causes
useless network traffic.  there's a tradeoff.

one more thing to consider is the number of non-compliant servers that
are even paid services.  people might want to use a server not
carrying enough groups, but doesn't cost.  the tendency i've seen are
more (non-)public servers carrying non-USENET groups like spamcop,
sourceforge etc.

i'm in favour of the current scheme.

clemens