Re: [leafnode-list] groups listed twice in groupinfo, and other

Jan Knutar <jknutar@xxxxxx> writes:

> Yes, my aim with this move was to stop "fetchnews" from constantly
> fetching list of all groups over and over again (It did this *without*
> the -f option).

In that case, leafnode has not been able to retrieve the lists from all
servers. If ANY server fails, fetchnews will record that problem and
retry "-f" mode the next time it is run, until it eventually succeeds.

> No server broke the connection mid-flight. My first reaction when
> seeing fetchnews out of cron fetching list of all groups continously
> was just that, to run fetchnews -f manually. As I said, this did not
> fix the issue, and fetchnews continued to retrive list of all
> newsgroups until I manually created active.read.

Strange. Here's my /var/spool/news ls -la excerpt.

drwxrwsr-x   15 news     news         4096 Oct 27 01:36 .
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Feb 27  2002 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 news     news            0 Oct 27 01:36 active.read
drwxrwsr-x    6 news     news         4096 Sep 11 11:15 de

Are there any active.read related log entries? Grep for "cannot update
or create".

> I'm more curious about figuring out what happened to cause all this odd
> behaviour, as I can always restore the spool from the slightly less
> than a week old backup.

Fine.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/   - leafnode-1 tarballs
http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/ - leafnode-2 tarballs