Re: [leafnode-list] Question regarding Fetchnews

"Bill Gross" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm running the latest version of Leafnode on Linux, and I'm having a
> problem with Fetchnews. It runs fine for a few hours, and then it stops with
> a message "Server went away when it should send an article." When I re-run
> Fetchnews it starts over again at the beginning of the news group list
> instead of continuing with the next group. Is it possible to have Fetchnews
> start with the last group it was working on before it died? Or, if not, is
> there a way that Fetchnews can be configured to keep trying to re-connect to
> the server instead of simply exiting?

There is no such thing. Fetchnews will remember how many articles it has
looked at in the groups it has successfully downloaded, so it will scan
the "seen" groups much quicker than in the failed run (if it requests
the same article range as before for anything queried prior to the
failed group, let me know -- see the TROUBLESHOOTING section of README
for details on how to get useful results).

Skipping over groups is not implemented, because effectively, the state
of the server is unknown after a protocol error. You'd have to remove
the corresponding file from /var/spool/news/interesting.groups -- and
that's a permanent operation (of course, reading an article in that
group will mark it for download again).

Most issues of these (in leafnode-1.9.36 at least) are server
bugs. Leafnode 1.9.33, .34 and .35 however had bugs in this area that
have been fixed in 1.9.36.

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/