Re: [leafnode-list] maxcrosspost < 5 ??

In article <3EAD4AA7.BeroList-2.5.9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Mike Vanecek <leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>[root@www news]# d interesting.groups
>-rw-rw-r--    1 news     news            0 Apr 28 09:12 comp.os.linux.redhat
[output trimmed]

>As an example of a group being pulled that is not in my interesting.groups:
>
>[root@www news]# d be/comp
>total 20K
>drwxrwxr-x    2 news     news         4.0K Apr 22 19:17 ./
>drwxrwxr-x    3 news     news         4.0K Apr 22 19:17 ../
>-rw-rw-r--    6 news     news         1017 Apr 22 19:17 2
[trimmed]

>Notice that the message references a group which is being followed:
>
>[root@www news]# less be/comp/2
>Newsgroups:
>rec.games.chess.computer,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.development.apps,b
>e.comp,comp.text.xml

This article was cross posted to comp.os.linux.redhat, which you DO read.

Moreover, the article was downloaded on the 22nd.  When did you make your
change to your config file?  Leafnode is not going to go and retroactively
delete directory entries for articles previously downloaded.

And see that number `6' in the line for be/comp/2 ?  That means that the
file has 6 links to it, one each for rec.games.chess.computer and
comp.os.linux.redhat and comp.os.linux.development.apps and be.comp and
comp.text.xml and the message.id entry.

Leafnode worked exactly correctly.  The file was downloaded exactly once.
It exists on your harddrive exactly once.  It IS posted to at least one
group that you read.

Moreover, if you do decide to read one of those other groups because you
had never heard of it before and it's caught your interest, then the
message will already exist in that group, and you'll be able to have some
context if you go into that group to start reading it.

mrc

--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/