From: Eduard Heimann [mailto:eheimann@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 3:17 PM
To: leafnode-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [leafnode-list] newbie - can't get list of groups

Ed wrote:

>Hi Eduard,
>
>Thanks for your feedback.
>
>I should have mentioned that Netscape is running on the same Linux box
>that is running Leafnode.

Well, it was in between the lines. The prob seems quite general and not
related to c/s architecture.

>I don't think there should be any dns issues in that case.  That's why
>I set the news server in Netscape as "localhost".
>
>In your solution, it sounds like you ran Netscape on a client.
>
>Am I correct?

Yes.

>As a test, I tried connecting from a client.  I opened port 119 on my
>firewall.  When I try to retrieve the list of groups, I get "Connection
>refused".

If you say "firewall", then, did you *really* open the port (to your
inside LAN)? Did you restart - as a measure of safety - the firewall, to
get the changed configuration. When i'm trying to reconfigure my beast,
then i never succed on the first attempt :-)

Try to stop the firewall. Try a "telnet myhost 119" - do you still get
"connection refused"?

Good luck! Ed