problems with XOVER response from upstream

I'm running leafnode 1.9.46 (as packaged by debian)
Judging from logfiles, (and the empty newsgroups that clients see), if
leafnode can't handle the XOVER response, it doesn't download the message.
Is there a way to convince leafnode to do something else in these cases?
Such as:
  Can I specify in the config file to not use XOVER in certain groups?
  Can I get leafnode to fall back to an alternate method for getting the
    information it wants?

Is there compile-time stuff I can do about this?  Should I download the source
for leafnode 1.9.46?
Should I start looking into leafnode 2.0?

BTW, the error is something like:
  Warning: got unparsable XOVER line from server, too few fields (7): "111^ISub
  jectLine^ISender^IMon, 15 Dec 2003 09:54:30 -0500^I<1.1@xxxxxxxxxx>^I^I^I"
(irrelevant details changed for privacy sake)
Can anyone tell me anything based on that excerpt?  Should I be complaining to
the admin at my news site?