Re: [leafnode-list] Poll about leafnode 1.9's future distribution

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 10:55 am, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Feedback is solicited, let me know what you think.

I run currently run Mandrake 9.x and 10.0 systems, and have
no qualms with dropping either gzipped files nor with ceasing
to ship pcre.  I also run a Redhat 7.2 system, and wouldn't
mind there either, except I am preparing to replace it with
Mandrake 10 so I can get a more secure setup.

I am not sure if I am "typical", but I would have not so long ago
been far more likely to be annoyed by dropping of gzip than
pcre, relatively speaking.  Fortunately most of my systems have
now been upgraded (via kindly donations) to systems less far
behind the technology curve than before, but it has not been
that long since I ran systems that bzip2 would heavily tax...
so much that I tended not to use bzip2.  Whereas I didn't
mind letting my modem grind a few minutes longer, I did
mind  knocking out my system for that many minutes just
unpacking the silly thing so I could wait some more to
compile it.  Granted, my scenario might not have been
commonplace, but my light duty "servers" tended to be the
least powerful systems at my disposal - since they were
"only" serving things that did not the horsepower you need
to run X and graphical client apps.

After all that, I only run 2.0b...  though I have compiled 1.9
for test... but really, I don't care that much about 1.9
distribution anyway...  ;-)