[leafnode-list] What triggers in.coming news to be posted?

I'm running a local-groups-only setup of leafnode-20041215a.

I'm looking for an exhaustive list of things that will cause news
that is sitting in the "in.coming" directory to be posted into the
appropriate local groups.

Because this is a local-only setup, "fetchnews" is not run.

Does someone have to do a "list active" before this news gets
posted? Do we have to run "texpire"?  Or what? ...

The reason I'm asking is because I often see news sitting for long
periods of time in the "in.coming" directory, and I'd like to do
whatever is necessary to get it posted as soon as possible into the
appropriate local groups.

P.S. -- Is it true that news posted through leafnode using the
"post" command will end up in the "in.coming" directory before being
posted appropriately?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx