Re: [leafnode-list] Can't get leafnode to work with news servers that work with clients.

On Thursday 09 June 2005 23:40, Matthias Andree wrote:

> > I've increased the cron fetchnews from once to three times an hour,
> > and it seems to be getting a greater proportion of the news now.  I
> > may increase it again and see how it goes.
>
> Are you filtering ICMP traffic on a firewall, router or via packet
> filter rules; particularly on lines with MTU lower than the default
> MTU of your network interface (PPP over Ethernet!) or congested
> lines?

I don't think so, but I'll look into it in more detail.  I have a NAT
router that (as I believe I have it configured) just blocks connections
from "outside" to servers running on the LAN (except for specified LAN
IP and port combinations).

> If so, make sure that PMTU discovery (PMTU = Path MTU, MTU = Maximum
> Transfer Unit, think "supported packet size") works (there are web
> sites on this topic, these should list which ICMP traffic you need to
> allow).

I'll check on this.

Something I've just noticed is that the timeouts seemed to occur mainly
in certain newsgroups.  I've manually deleted those
from /var/spool/news/interesting.groups and performance seems to have
improved.  When I think leafnode has caught up with the others I'll try
putting them back into use, one at a time.

Thanks,
Adam