Re: [leafnode-list] Can't get leafnode to work with news servers that work with clients.

Adam Funk <adam00f@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thursday 09 June 2005 23:40, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>> > I've increased the cron fetchnews from once to three times an hour,
>> > and it seems to be getting a greater proportion of the news now.  I
>> > may increase it again and see how it goes.
>>
>> Are you filtering ICMP traffic on a firewall, router or via packet
>> filter rules; particularly on lines with MTU lower than the default
>> MTU of your network interface (PPP over Ethernet!) or congested
>> lines?
>
> I don't think so, but I'll look into it in more detail.  I have a NAT
> router that (as I believe I have it configured) just blocks connections
> from "outside" to servers running on the LAN (except for specified LAN
> IP and port combinations).

What kind of NAT router is this?

Is it properly propagating ICMP traffic to the systems "behind" it (as
seen from the Internet side of things)?  It requires a statefully
inspecting packet filter to determine what it needs to SNAT and forward
and what it needs to drop.

> Something I've just noticed is that the timeouts seemed to occur mainly
> in certain newsgroups.

There is nothing that would make certain newsgroups special from
fetchnews's view.