[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews - glibc detected *** double free or corruption - aborted

Hello,

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 06:24:58PM +0100, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with fetchnews on one of my systems,
> which gives this error:
>
>     $ sudo fetchnews -vvv

What happens, if you do *not* sudo but log in as root and then
fetchnews?

> It used to work fine, but I am using the Gentoo distro and upgraded
> something else and now fetchnews does this consistently. I have tried
> recompiling Leafnode, libpcre and most every package on my system
> (using `emerge -e leafnode) and I still get this problem; it gives
> the same symptoms using the 20060321 snapshot (supplied by Gentoo's
> portage) and the 20060608 snapshot, both irrespective of whether I
> compile them using Gentoo's ebuild or manually using `./configure ;
> make ; make install`.
>
> I have this idea that this "double free" message may be only a run-
> time warning from the compiler, but I have no idea to disable it.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01918.html

There's said that there are "additional sanity checks" in glibc. So
either sudo or fetchnews are insane.

Since I do not have any problem or insanity in using fetchnews, I
suspect it's sudo or the combination of sudo and fetchnews.

I have installed version 2.0.0_alpha20060321 of leafnode. gcc is
installed in versions 3.3.6 and 3.4.6-r1, gcc-config says I'm using
3.4.6 (I suspect you also habe an installed 3.4.6, but did not switch
with gcc-config. Remember to fix_libtool_files.sh!)

> I'll fine a bug with Gentoo if necessary, but so far I haven't had
> much help on their -user mailing list. Because i get the same thing
> if I compile manually I thought I'd give this problem a quick airing
> here. Any comments gratefully received.

Maybe I could risk a short look at how much traffic is on -user, but I
think itd be too much for my poor mailbox. I'm currently reading only
-user-de.

HTH,

Martin