[leafnode-list] Re: Errors during authentification

Gianni Piccini schrieb:
> Using Leafnode 2.0.0.alpha20070602a (from the Debian experimental
> repositories) I've troubles connecting to two news servers, that
> require authentification. From the news.notice log, I can see that
> (I've removed some words from the beginning of the lines)
>
> fetchnews[5470]:
> forum.mclink.it NNTP server disconnected or timed out while waiting for
> response Nov
> fetchnews[5470]: authenticate:
> mc0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: password failed: -01
> fetchnews[5470]:
> myaccount@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: error, cannot authenticate
>
> fetchnews[5495]: timeout reading.
> fetchnews[5495]: news.individual.net NNTP server
> disconnected or timed out while waiting for response Nov 25 10:25:08
> fetchnews[5495]: myaccount@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: error,
> cannot authenticate
>
> It seems like Leafnode try to authenticate me as "account + @ + server
> name", I don't know if it is true, but the effects are the same: I need
> to use only account for user name, do you know what are possible
> solutions?

Hi Gianni,

sorry to hear of the problems.

WRT the issue at hand, "NNTP server disconnected to timed out while waiting
for response", and "news.individual.net NNTP server disconnected or timed
out while waiting for response" -- these two messages hint to network
problems outside of leafnode's control -- the connections are established,
but later break.

WRT how leafnode authenticates, it will send just the username as
configured to the server. I can change how it logs these failures to make
sure it's not misleading.

HTH