[leafnode-list] Re: Requesting "legal opinion" on Newsgroups & Xref headers

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:52:16 -0800 "John R. Myers" <jmyers@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 11/20/2009 at 11:18 PM Whiskers wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:00:34 -0800 "John R. Myers" <jmyers@xxxxxxxxx>
> >wrote:

[...]

> Sorry, that should be the "Information Research FAQ" posted in:
>    alt.internet.research,sci.research,alt.answers,sci.answers
> together with news.answers^M. Thanks for the cross check.

Found it  :))  It's a FAQ in six parts, and the latest posting was

Date: 12 Nov 2009 05:19:14 GMT
Expires: 26 Dec 2009 05:18:16 GMT

> >If others can verify the presence of an errant ^M, then a polite email
> >to the maintainer of the FAQ would seem to be in order.
>
> If someone can verify the ^M

I can't, not on its own; all six articles have the usual hex 0D 0A
characters at the end of the Newsgroups header.  So it doesn't look as
though the problem exists in the original articles, unless it's getting
corrected somehow on the way to me.

^M on its own is the usual Unix and Linux newline - but for some reason,
DOS and Windows require ^M^J together, and usenet follows that convention.
So perhaps the file you are looking at has been edited in a program set to
use the Unix-style newline?

> I suppose a related question would be:
> Does anyone know offhand whether ^M is a legal line delimiter for NNTP?

Only the combination hex 0D 0A (^M^J or carriage return and line feed) is
allowed, as far as I know.  (Although some usenet clients can cope with
format=flowed as well).

--
--  Whiskers