[leafnode-list] Re: Header PATH and FQDN

Am 06.12.2010 01:20, schrieb Lurkos:
> *Matthias Andree* wrote:
>
>> Am 05.12.2010 21:50, schrieb Lurkos:
>>> As you have probably guessed, I've started to use Leafnode few days ago.
>>> Thus first of all I would like to thank you all for the previous
>>> answers.
>>>
>>> I've noticed that Leafnode adds the hostname/FQDN set in the
>>> configuration file inside the "Path: " header for outgoing articles.
>>> Is it possible to avoid Leafnode to add the "Path: " header, leaving
>>> this task to the remote/posting news server?
>>
>> Only by patching the source code.  Why would that be desirable?
>
> If I'm not wrong, Leafnode doesn't handle local groups, but it's only
> able to keep the local spool syncronized with the remote server, that in
> turn are also used to post articles.
> Indeed, Leafnode-1 always sends and receive again all the articles sent
> by the user. For this reason the additional record in the "Path: "
> should not be necessary to avoid duplicates.

True enough, but steps 8 and 9 in RFC 5537 section 3.5 are quite clear:

begin quote
[...]
   7.   If the Newsgroups header contains one or more moderated groups
        and the proto-article does not contain an Approved header field,
        [redirect to moderator] [...]

   8.   Otherwise, a Path header field with a <tail-entry> MUST be added
        if not already present.

   9.   The injecting agent MUST then update the Path header field as
        described in Section 3.2.1.
[...]
end quote

For all practical purposes, leafnode integrates the injecting, relaying, and
serving, agents (RFC 5537 section 3), so there is no way to weasel around any of
this.  Arguing that leafnode were a posting agent

I will not change the software towards violating applicable standards.