Re: [leafnode-list] some strange output

Mike Castle <dalgoda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm working on a few tools and as of a result, abusing leafnode a bit.
>
> I just noticed the following odd errors:
>
> store: cannot link /var/spool/news/temp.files/store_XXXXHrMJ6B to
> /var/spool/news/message.id/067/<5378778@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> File exists

This should have been rejected as duplicate prior to the link operation,
or you have a problem that two processes try to store the same article
at the same time and race between ihave() and the link. Or that file
that is supposed to exist is not a regular file. Please do:

ls -ld \
'/var/spool/news/message.id/067/<5378778@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>'

What do you get?

What exactly did you do to get this message?

I shall be releasing 2.0b8_ma10pre4 in some hours, you may want to
recheck with that version, that fixes all other difficules (except the
one one top, but with enhanced logging, we might be able to figure
things out.)

> Could not store /var/spool/news/in.coming/12908-1026096187-1469: "OS
> trouble: %m", moving to /var/spool/news/failed.postings/

These belong together, the %m should have been "File exists", but it is
part of a string that is already interpolated via %s. The new "OS
trouble" message will drop the %m and tell the user to look at previous
log messages.

> cannot move /var/spool/news/in.coming/12908-1026096187-1469 to /failed.postings/: No such file or directory
>
> The first is that the %m is not being interpreted.  Probably not what is
> expected.
>
> Second is why /failed.postings/ rather than /var/spool/news/failed.postings
> (no wonder it can't move :-)

Bug. It did not pass the same string to the syslog than what it passed
to the log_moveto function. Fixed. Thanks for reporting this.