Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode went tits-up. CPR ineffective.

Witold Władysław Wojciech Wilk <maniack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> well, leafnode 1.9.32.rel went into coma today, from which it can't go
> out of. usually doing

Try 1.9.36.rel first, it has received fixes to signal handling that may
help you already. Do not use 1.9.33 to 1.9.35.

> killall -TERM fetchnews; rm -f /var/lock/news/fetchnews.lck
>
> brought fetchnews out of this. now its worse. it seems the newsgroup
> list is crapped. I can post. definetely. lookey here:
>
> root@sandra:/home/maniack# fetchnews -vvvv
> leafnode 1.9.32.rel: verbosity level is 4
> Trying to connect to news.supermedia.pl:nntp ... connected.
> Using STAT <message-ID> command on this server.
> news.supermedia.pl: 0 articles posted
> Getting all newsgroups from news.supermedia.pl
>
> now, here fetchnews downloads from news.supermedia.pl. after downloading
> - stops. goes into coma. SIGTERM and SIGHUP kill it. before its death it
> says:

Second, if 1.9.36 still shows this behaviour, and you know fetchnews has
finished downloading the newsgroups (modem lights/NIC lights remain dark
or something), please try to obtain a stack backtrace at the time you
know it hangs.

> Newsgroup name conflict: za.misc vs. za.misc
> Newsgroup name conflict, chose za.misc

Hum, strange. What does "locale" print for the root user?

> and after that:
> Forked child process to update XOVER information.
>
> but:
>
> root@sandra:/home/maniack# ps -A|grep fetchnews
> root@sandra:/home/maniack#
>
> so the child died after birth. oops.

Has it died? Or has it finished? If you have a quick machine (some
hundred MHz) with enough RAM to cache the articles it has just
downloaded, then the child may read the articles from the cache rather
than from disk and finish in fractions of a second, faster than you type
"ps -A".

> I've tried looking at leafnodes group files, came out zilcho.

Where exactly have you looked? What have you found, and what was
different from what you had expected?

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/