Re: [leafnode-list] Fetching certain groups only from one server?

"John Carlyle- Clarke" <john.cc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there any easy way of doing this?
>
> The borland.public* hierarchy should only be used with Borland's own
> news server.  Although other servers carry the groups, posts will not
> propagate back to Borland's server.  They explain the reason for this
> somewhere on their site - it's to allow spam filtering and whatnot.
>
> Anyway, this works wonderfully with Leafnode 2.  I have the Borland
> server first in my server list, and so posts to groups it carries go
> to it by default.

> It's no big deal, but is there any easy way to filter these or prevent
> retrieval of borland.public* from my ISP's server?

There's a somewhat inconvenient way. You can use the only_groups
configuration option (you'd need to set it for each of your servers
though) to determine which groups are queried from a particular server
-- for example,

server = news.example.org
only_groups = ^(de|rec|news|comp)\.

will only fetch the de, rec, news and comp hierarchies from
news.example.org and ignore other groups on that server.

Some more advanced PCRE rules might work out for "negative" rules as you
want, but give

only_groups = ^(?!borland)

a try. Take care when adding rules to that, the best is using pcregrep
to try your regexp against the active file, such as:

pcregrep '^(?!borland)' /var/spool/news/leaf.node/groupinfo

(You can use -v to invert the logic of the match.)

leafnode-1 download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leafnode/
leafnode-1 docs/new: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/
leafnode-2 homepage: http://mandree.home.pages.de/leafnode/beta/