Re: [leafnode-list] "Cannot get lock file" + ppp disconnects.

Doug Laidlaw schrieb am 2003-08-30:

> Using 1.9.31.  This morning I had a "cannot get lock file" error with
> fetchnews. A Google search directed me to /var/lock/news/ which revealed that
> I had another instance of fetchnews running.  After I killed the other
> instance, pppd didn't seem to be exiting all the time as it had been (exit

Did you obtain a stack backtrace before killing it? Was fetchnews running at 100% CPU?

I'm really eager to get at least some information on the mysterious
fetchnews hangs that haunt some people from time to time.

Please see the leafnode FAQ for details on how to obtain a stack
backtrace.

> status 16.)  Was there perhaps a connection?  I have a lot of problems with
> ppp under Linux, so it won't be the whole story.

These still shouldn't cause fetchnews hangs.