Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode hanging

On 23 Feb,
     Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Robert Marshall <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I was seeing this yesterday on that server with a leafnode2 version, I
> > think the text server has acquired binary newsgroups due to some stupidity
> > on their part and therefore may be overloaded?
>
> Might be, the connections don't time out which hints that the kernel of
> the news server is alive, but the application isn't. Provided it's a
> single machine and not a load balanced pool.

I'm puzzled at this, (thanks for looking at my problem) presumably ntl's
server is responding periodically to keep the connection alive. I would have
expected (otherwise) Leafnode to time out.

>From information on the ntl newsgroups I've changed my leafnode config to
point to an IP address of the old text.news.ntlworld.com directly, as they
seem to indicate that text.news.ntl.com now resolves to news.ntlworld.com,
which was always dire. I'll abandon their newsservers if I have further
problems, as the polish and german servers seem 100% except for carrying the
in house ntl groups.

--
  Brian Duffell    RiscPC600      | StrongARM 233Mhz RISC OS 4 66Mb
  Linux PCs on RISC OS network    | <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>