Re: [leafnode-list] Turning off check_date notices

Todd Eddy <vr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I changed the name of the server, obviously.  But I know my clock is
> correct (it syncs to the atomic clock) so that means the news server's
> time is out of sync.  Is there a way to not print out this error?  I
> guess I could get creative with the cron job and redirect output to a
> script that will hide messages I don't want, but don't want to if I
> don't have to.

The "obvious" way to fix this is filing a support ticket, asking your
news server admin to fix its system time, for instance by installing and
running ntp (http://www.ntp.org/), or running ntpdate and restarting
ntpd.

Server clocks that are off can cause premature article expiry, bogus
article rejects and other faults, so best to have the cause fixed.

Other than that, filtering out the unwanted warning is the way to go
and being able to do so is why we're running UNIX or similar systems in
the first place:

fetchnews [your options] 2>&1 | grep -v 'check_date.*apart\.'

I will not touch leafnode-1.10.* as it is frozen (= bugfixes only) and
this behavior of leafnode's is not a bug; the final shape of 2.* isn't
cast in concrete yet, but I'm not sure if I'll add code when the
external solution is already there.