Re: [leafnode-list] Problems with reading from newsgroups (501 no such list available)

On Monday 07 February 2005 12:40, Gino Filicetti wrote:
> >>I don't understand why the "501 no such list available" error is
> >>occuring, I have never seen it before until now.

> > It means that their news server doesn't have such a list. I've tried
> > to connect to that server but it requires authentication. On my
> > ISP's news server, I can telnet to it's nntp port (119) and run an
> > interactive session. It supports a "help" command that lists all
> > acceptable/supported commands. So does my local leafnode2.
> >
> > See if your server supports "list newsgroups"
>
> I tried the same thing, but seems like help doesn't even work on my
> isp's server unless I'm authenticated... and I can't figure out how to
> authenticate myself since telnet lets me in with out challenging me
> for credentials.... any idea?

The protocol should be the same as for leafnode. i.e.
issue
	authinfo user Name
and
	authinfo pass Password

Substitute the appropriate username for "Name" and password for "Password"
These may be different to your usual ISP authentication.

> > Did you add this immediately after the corresponding server
> > declartion? Leafnode2 man page says:
> > nodesc = 1
> > (Note spaces)
> >
> > I don't remember the parseable format variations.
>
> I have that, and its no help... here's a snippet of the top of my
> config file:
>
> ## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
> ## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
> server = newsgroups.comcast.net
> nodesc = 1

Unless you also have username and password parameters for the
server, you won't get anywhere.